Blinded sided by the pink...... Slip!

Man oh man....  I have reached a turning point in my life!  This comes as quite a surprise to me and I sort of view this as a slap in the face!  Yesterday at work..... I was "laid off" for a lack of a better term.

I was in the middle of helping a student with some long division problems when an assistant principle, a woman from KCK's central office, and a woman from the Wyandotte County Special Education Cooperative walk into my classroom.  Any time an administrator walks into my room, I'm immediately nervous because I'm scared either I've done something wrong or one of my students is being suspended....again.  This time it was not the case.

Initially the first thing that crossed my mind was that these people were here to discuss the situation I've been having with my para.  On the regular she has been missing ENTIRE days of work!  On top of that, most of the time she misses she is a no call, no show!  So, finally I reported her!  I hate being "that guy," but at the same time I don't think it's fair for her to be paid for not showing up.  See, since she doesn't call in the district/building doesn't know she's not here.....so she will still get paid for 8 hours of work.  However, I've taken the liberty upon myself to call her in to the office the last 4-5 times that she hasn't shown up, that way the district isn't paying her and she's not being counted here when she's clearly not!  Maybe that makes me the bad guy, but what can you do, right?

Anyways, when I saw these people come in I immediately knew that the powers that be had heard my complaints and were coming to address the problem with me.  I quickly thought of what I was going to say, how it was going to be delivered (hopefully in the most professional way I could), and how I planned to deal with things in her absence!  Boy was I wrong....

The asst. principal asked me if I had a moment to talk with he and the woman from central office.  I agreed and followed them out of the classroom and down the hall.  The woman from the Coop stayed in my classroom with my students while I was gone.  So, I followed them down the hall and into another classroom.  At this point I'm still rehearsing what I'm going to say about my para in my head..... I'm even searching for dates of when she missed last and when all her sick days were used up!

So, once in the classroom they ask me to have a seat at a random desk.  So, I do....

Then the assistant principal says, "I have a letter here that I think might be of interest to you!'

This immediately makes me nervous!  What could this letter be?  Maybe a parent has written a formal complaint?  Maybe another staff member has?  Maybe something is wrong with my license or grad school stuff? ......Maybe they've read this blog and are royally pissed?  Maybe they are going to offer me a different position writing blogs for the entire district since they are so pleased and amused by this one!

WRONG-O!!!

The envelope is a KCKPS supplied envelope....  My name is neatly handwritten across the front, "Mr. Jeremy Webb."  I begin to open the letter.....  My hands are shaking so bad at this point that I feel like I have Parkinson's disease!   I struggle to rip the envelope open, trying my hardest to just get the opening started..... (Kind of like trying to start a new roll of T.P.)  I can't open it form the side....I can't open it from the top... I keep ripping and ripping and the envelope just won't break free.  This should have been a sign that.....  WHAT'S INSIDE THIS ENVELOPE IS NOT GOOD NEWS!!!!


Finally I'm able to get the letter open and unfold the piece of paper inside......

The letter states:

April 18, 2011


Dear Mr. Jeremy Webb:


This letter is to inform you that I am recommending to the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education that your contract not be renewed for the 2011-2012 school year.  


Sincerely, 


Principal's name

My heart dropped....a lump formed in my throat.... I tried to speak but all I could mutter was, "Ok...."  in a wimpy, cracked voice.  I felt pathetic, used, worthless.....

Then I was able to get out, "Do you know what the reasoning is?"

Which was met with a firm response from the asst. principal:  "District policy states that we don't have to provide you with a reason.  However, if you would like to resign you may do so by presenting a handwritten letter, in person, to Human Resources by 5:00 Friday, April 22nd."

"Thanks!" I responded!

I was completely at a loss for words....  What could I have done so wrong that my contract isn't being renewed?  Where do I go from here?

These questions and millions more were racing through my head....

"Do you need a moment to collect yourself?"  Asked the Central Office woman.

"Nope, I'm fine.... If you don't want me, you don't want me!"  I answered as I walked out of the classroom!

I returned to class dejected....

Seriously, what am I going to do now?  The job market is awful, as you all know!  How am I supposed to find something to replace this job now? I can't believe this is actually happening to me!!!   I never would have thought in a million years that I would be looking for a job again this early in my career!

Oh well, I guess it's time for me to move on!!!

I called everyone I could think of, mostly my teacher friends!  They were comforting, but really couldn't offer me the words I wanted to hear.  I mean, what words were the right words to hear at this moment?  "YOU'RE HIRED!!" are the only ones I could think of.

My mom was the most upset by the news.... She cried with me on the phone and asked me what I had planned, how I felt, and where I went from here.  I couldn't answer the questions.

I didn't have a plan, I wasn't really sure how to feel and the only place for me to go from here was back to square one!!!

Anyways....I've had a little bit of time to mull this whole situation over.  Honestly, I'm not too terribly devastated by this whole thing.  Don't get me wrong.... I'm clearly uneasy about the fact that I have to find something new in our struggling economy, and I'm saddened by the fact that I will be leaving all my students out to dry, so to speak. After all, they were the reason for me going to work on a daily basis.  I LOVE every one of my students, but ultimately I was not happy with my job!

Maybe this is the fresh start I need to get my life on track, again?  I mean, maybe this will be the opportunity I need to go ahead and apply for something overseas like I've been wanting to do for some time now?  Maybe this is the opportunity to get into a district with a little better reputation, an Olathe, Shawnee-Mission, a De Soto?  Maybe this is the opportunity I need to restart my life back in Texas, closer to my family?

Who knows where this whole fiasco will lead?  Hell, maybe Lady GaGa will call me up and ask me to be her personal assistant? That's always a HUGE possibility, right?  I hope so at least?  Maybe this is my chance to become a reality t.v. star, which is ultimately my life goal!

Anyways..... I am not the only person to receive one of these letters yesterday!  I know of 4 others in my building that got these letters.  All of us were 2nd year teachers or less....not tenured of course!!  So, I'm not alone!!!  We'll find a way to collect the pieces of our shattered professional careers and move on to bigger and better things! .....Or at least I hope we're able to!!

Word on the street is that we are being RIF'ed which means Reduction in Force....  So, we are being let go and replaced by tenured teachers from around the district or from another school that is being downsized, but can't fire these tenured individuals.

In closing, please keep your fingers crossed for me and my unemployed counterparts....  May we find the light at the end of the tunnel, may we all find a new position or niche in the world.... Or may we all file for UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!

Comments

  1. Oh honey! I'm so sorry about your job! But I'll be damned if you dont' make me laugh. Call me any time you need a rant. Love you! Hopefully this is life handing you a sign to greener pastures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Korean Matrimony

Korean Living

New Job, New Chapter!