New Job, New Chapter!

Hello, everyone!  It's definitely been way too long since I last decided to update this thing!  I apologize for my absence and my silence, but I guess life has gotten in the way.....  Or maybe I have honestly had nothing to blog about for over a year or maybe two?  My Z-List life hasn't been all that exciting lately.  Nevertheless, I am back and hopefully I'll stick around for more than just this entry or the next one!  I've made an honest vow to try to update a bit more often, so I expect my MILLIONS of followers to hold me to that!

Anyways, what is new in my life?  I'm sure you are all dying to know..... Well, as of last month, I accepted a new job here in Korea.  I have accepted a position as English Professor at SoonChunHyang University in Asan, South Korea.  For those of you know that know me, working at a university as been my main goal since coming to Korea.  Until now, I honestly hadn't really felt like I was completely prepared for the job. However, after teaching at hagwons for the past 2 years, I am glad to make the transition to higher education.

So, as you may have already figured out, finding and accepting a new job in a new city also involves moving yourself and all the crap you have somehow accumulated over the past year to the new city.  I guess that's where I'll pick up on this entry.

After accepting the position, my new boss told me that my living quarters would not be available to move in until August 20th.  However, the girl that was replacing me at my old job, needed to move into my old house as soon as possible, since she was now going to be a full-time employee at my old school.   That in itself was a task.  So, my boss and our hagwon bus driver had arranged for a moving truck to assist me and my replacement, Merry, in moving things from my apartment to a temporary residence and moving Merry's things from the temporary residence to the apartment.  Well, wouldn't you know, as luck would have it a torrential downpour happened on moving day.  So, my boss cancelled the moving truck and decided we would do all the moving ourselves.  So, I was prepared when my boss arrived at my place to gather my things, only she showed up in her small sedan.  So the only things I could actually load into her car were blankets and pillows...... I had to wait for the bus driver, or Master, to come and collect me and the rest of my belongings.

Once he arrived he literally parked his van in the street, opened the sliding door with the push of the button from the driver's seat and sat and waited while I made trip after trip out to his van with my things..... in the pouring rain.  On top of that, he would occasionally shout things at me in Korean because I wasn't packing things into the van appropriately or in an orderly fashion.  On top of that, he would from time to time drive away, mid-pack, so that a car could pass through, since we were blocking the entire roadway.  That meant I was left standing in the rain with a suitcase, a box, or my lovely floor mattress being doused with rain.

Well, once we got all my things loaded and myself dried off a bit, we drove to the temporary housing unit.  This is where the exchange of goods was going to be made; Merry's things would be moved out and my things would be moved in. This process went by a lot quicker than when moving my things because there were more hands and more bodies to move the items.  The only thing that was different was, we had to walk about 50 yards in the rain to deliver the things into the van and my boss' car!  So, needless to say, I was drenched again in rain..... and sweat by the time all the moving was over.  That ends the packing/moving story for a moment.... I lived in this temporary home for about a month before I was able to make the move to my new city of Asan.

Fast forward to that month.... well, about a week ago from today.  I had officially stopped working at my hagwon, but was still communicating with my boss trying to figure out how I am/was going to move my things across the country from Wonju to Asan.  She advised that it would probably be best to again hire a moving truck and have them deliver the things and myself to Asan.  She estimated the cost to be between $200 to $300.  As the moving date drew near, I had emailed my new boss to get the address of the new place and see if for sure the place would be available for me to move in on the 20th as previously discussed.  With everything squared away, or so I thought, I prepared myself to move on the 20th.  However, just before the 20th my old boss asked me if I thought it would be better to just have the moving people move my things to Asan and I travel by bus, subway and taxi there because it would greatly reduce the cost.  If I chose this method, shipping my belongings across the peninsula would only cost me $80.  Holy cow!  Heck yes, I'll take that deal!  I'm all about the discount.  However, this meant I had to send a last minute email to my new boss telling her that I would no longer be arriving with my belongings, so someone from her office needed to be there to let the movers into my new place.  She responded asking what time the movers were coming and what time I would be arriving.... but somehow it was lost in translation, even though we both speak English fairly fluently.  So now there is a big cloud of confusion hanging over my head, my new boss' head as to when I will be arriving and with whom in tow!

On the morning of the big move, my boss calls me and tells me that she is running a bit late, but that the moving fan is in the area of my house, but lost and doesn't know where to go.  So, she sends me out to find the blue moving fan and direct it to my house.  So, embark on the journey, only guessing where the man and his van may be.  Wouldn't you know it, I guessed wrong and ended up having to walk twice as far than I actually needed to.  Well, in case you don't know.... Korea in the summer time, especially during "rainy season" is RIDICULOUSLY humid.  So, walking outside for any amount of time, whether it's 1 second or 1 hour, usually means I have probably sweat through everything I have on.  So, I finally arrive at the man and his fan, drenched from head to toe in sweat.  He looks at me bewildered.... and all I can manage is sweaty, but respectful bow.  It's a bit early in the morning for me, so my Korean brain isn't working properly so I can't for words or anything to let him know that I am the person he is looking for.  So, as a compromise I just start repeating my boss' name over and over again: Kim Tae Eun? Kim Tae Eun?  Kim Tae Eun?  I put different inflections on each syllable of her name, like the man doesn't speak Korean or something, but again, my Korean brain.... or my regular brain really aren't functioning at the moment. Finally, I motion for and convince the man to get into his van and follow me.  I'm sure onlookers are probably thinking I'm trying to proposition him or something.... considering our level of communication has now turned to hand gestures and sounds that border on grunting.

OH MAN!!! I almost forgot to mention.... the moving man is a little person!!!  That's not really relevant to the story, but hopefully it will help you picture the scenario a bit in your head.

Anyways, the man and his van have managed to decipher my afore mentioned grunts and hand gestures and are now backing down the alley way leading to my temporary home.  Here, the man exits his van and opens up the hatchback readying to load my belongings.  He seems a bit hesitant to start loading things, so I assume he wants me to make the first move.  That is something I'm always uncertain about, making the first move, but I guess that's for another post another day?!?!  Anyways.... the man is hesitant and starts speaking to me in Korean again.... this time I'm a bit more prepared to engage in Korean speak with him, so I stand there, listening, trying to decipher the words that are flying at me.... but I can't.  So, I look at him, make another "follow me" arm gesture and head into the house.  I think this time, the gesture was accompanied by a Korean word/phrase, which I'm sure blew his mind.......

Anyways, I walk into the house, grab the first bag and head for the van.  The man stops me, grabs the bag from my hands and says, "Many?"  I grunt and gesture that there are only 3 bags, 5 boxes and a few random things.  The only problem is.... all the bags and boxes probably weigh more than he does.  He takes the first bag from me.... tries to lift it, but can't so he decides to drag the bag across the sidewalk as it it were a little red wagon.  I guess if it works for him, it will work for me.  I return to the house for more bags and boxes while he struggles getting the first on into the van.  I have made a bit of a pile for him outside the van during the time it has taken him to load the first bag, get it situated and catch his breath.  Finally everything is loaded and my boss, who has shown up during the loading process, is telling me that the price is $80 but I should probably tip him for helping me load the bags into the van.  Hahaha.... funny stuff, right? But me being the nice guy I am, I hand the man $100 for his trouble.  Then my boss and the man have a short conversation about the trip and that I will be taking a bus and meeting my belongings there.  He isn't happy with this decision so he motions and grunts for me to climb into the front seat of the van with him and make the journey across country as partners!  I'm shocked, happy and a bit nervous about this considering I can't speak that much Korean and he can't speak that much English, but I agree to embark on the journey with him.

Just as I expected, the first 30 minutes or so of our cross country journey are very awkward.  He isn't really saying much to me at all.... and I am sitting like a bobble head in the passenger's seat trying to navigate the thin line between consciousness and unconsciousness.  I'll be completely honest with you, the only reason I don't want to slip into a sleepy state is because I am terrified of my awkward travel snores.  I am admittedly a snorer, I can't even begin to deny it.  However, I have noticed since coming to Korea, I am a very awkward travel snorer.  When I sleep in my bed, I snore balls-to-the-wall, so to speak.  When I'm traveling that doesn't seem to be the case.  I will subconsciously let out these "baby snores"..... they aren't loud, but they are just loud and awkward enough to wake me up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. one happens!  Now, I don't know this man very well, but I like what I do know of him, but I do not think we are far enough along in our relationship for him to hear my awkward travel snores!!!  After about 45 minutes of fighting off sleep, I finally give in.

The next thing I know, I am woken by the moving van coming to a screeching halt.  I stir from my sleep, expecting to open my eyes to see us slam into a semi truck or something, but am relieved to see we are merely making a pit stop, for a cigarette and coffee for the man and a bottled water for me.  He denied it, but I think he was a bit tired of listening to my awkward travel snores, so he had to pull over in order to maintain his sanity.

The rest of the trip, I am wide away.... I just needed that short 10-15 minute disco nap to restore my body to it's normal homeostatic state.  This is a good thing, because now the man in the van wants to share his life with me!  Good thing I got that nap in, because now my Korean brain is working a bit better and I am quasi able to communicate with the man.  We discuss his wife, his adorable son, Dong Jae, his parents, and his in-laws.  He even shows me his very own homepage on his phone! Here is where his life story begins to unfold before my eyes through pictures he has captured on his phone and uploaded to his Daum homepage.  I will tell you, I was very impressed with the copious amounts of food pictures he managed to immortalize forever on the interwebs.  I mean, honestly how many times can you see a picture of bibimbap before you know you've seen too many?!  What was even more mind blowing to the man in the van, was that he actually prepared ALL of these meals himself! After every picture of food he showed me, he would say "Me make!"

Finally, after I had look at all his food pictures, we arrived at my new home in Asan.  On the way to Asan, between my bobble head, awkward travel snores and the endless food photography, my new boss had called and informed me that she was tired of waiting for me and/or my things to arrive at the apartment, so the key would be waiting for me in my mailbox.  Honestly, why didn't she just plan on leaving the key there for me in the first place? We could have avoided all the miscommunication and confusion from the get go.  Moving along, we arrive at my new apartment and I exit the blue moving fan in pursuit of my key and my apartment.  The man in the van is speaking loudly to me in Korean, but I'm not exactly sure what he's saying because I'm honestly not paying attention.  The only thing I am focused on is trying to figure out which of the 6,000,000 mailboxes is actually mine.  You think this would be easier than it sounds, but all the numbers are super faded from the boxes and they don't seem to really be going in any kind of particular order.  However, I do realize that the smaller numbers seem to be on the bottom and the larger numbers on top.  I am room 202, so I am somewhere at the bottom; I'm thinking its safe to assume that I am on the second row of mailboxes.  WRONG!  I look to the second row and the number starts with 3.... So, I decide the only way to find my mailbox is for me to crawl on the ground so I can definitely see the numbers.  So, I do that and I finally locate my mailbox.... of course it's the last mailbox on the first row, which makes absolutely no sense AT ALL!  But hey, I have my key and I'm ready to move in!!!

Now after securing my key, I return outside and notice that the man in the van has started to unload my things in preparation for them to be moved inside.  So, I take the first big bag, knowing he won't be able to help much, and head for the elevator.  Now, if you haven't noticed, there seems to be a bit of Murphy's Law undertone to this story..... it continues here. I climb into the elevator to my left and push the number 2..... nothing happens.  So, then I push the door close button to hurry the process along.  The doors close, but the elevator doesn't start to move. So, again I push button number 2..... still nothing.  Then I remember that sometimes only one elevator in a building will take you to certain floors, and it seems pretty obvious that I am in the wrong one.  So, I exit the left elevator and board the right one.  Again I push number 2 and again, nothing happens!  Apparently neither elevator will take you to the second floor.  IMAGINE THAT!!!!  Guess you know what that means, I am going to have to hoof myself all of my belongings up 2 flights of stairs if I plan on moving in today, or ever.  That's just what I love.... more opportunities to sweat!  And I am definitely guaranteed now help now, because the man in the van can barely get the boxes and bags out of the van so there is no way he will be able to lug them up two flights of stairs.  Bless his heart!!!

Anyways.... after about 15-20 minutes I have powered through the move in process and simultaneously sweat through every article of clothing I have on..... again!  This bring us to goodbye time for me and the man in the van.  I thank him, bow to his respectfully again, well maybe 2-3 more times and turn to go back to my room.  That's when he says "Wait!"  So I turn to him and see him with his arms stretched out for a hug!!!!  Precious, I know!  So, I go in for a little goodbye hug with the man in the van!  It was an awkwardly sweet moment, but it was our moment.  Then he whips out a card, writes down his personal homepage address, and hands it to me!!! OMG!  We are totally going to be lifelong friends after one cross country road trip!  I'm super excited!!!

Anyways.... this post has gone on for far too long, so I am going to post pictures of my new place and end it!

Here is a shot from the door way of my apartment.  The kitchen area is to the right, the bathroom through the door on the left and the living room area straight ahead.  

My kitchen: a sink, 2 burner stove and lots of drawers and cabinets! Well, not lots, but more than my last place.  Oh, there is also a full size refrigerator, which isn't pictured here. 

Here is the living area, my bed, a desk and a shelving unit.  The walls are a bit bare.... I need some pictures or something!!!

The same section of the room, but this taken from a different angle!!!

Across the room from my bed and desk are a closet, another desk and my dining room table.  Again, my walls are super bare! 

Here is the monstrosity that is my pink bathroom!!! Everything is pink!!!

Well, I am done with this post! I apologize that it is such a long one, but I guess in two years I have a lot of things to say! Thanks for taking the time to read it.  I have orientation starting tomorrow, Tuesday, August 26!!!  Hopefully there will be some classic tales to share with everyone after that.  If not, I start officially teaching my university classes on Monday, September 1, so I know there will be plenty to share then!  

Comments

  1. Read every word!!! Haha your adventures are the best! I love you and your new little bestie, should I be jealous??! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Korean Matrimony

Korean Living